Virginian in 1909--Another first train

Wed Dec 31 21:28:37 EST 2008

Aubrey,

I need some clarification on your identification of the bridge in the Bluefield newspaper article because I am not that familiar with the geography east of Roanoke, which is Mile Post 243 on my VGN track chart. The article stated that the bridge was thirty-five miles east of Roanoke, and that would Mile Post 208. My VGN track chart shows the bridge at that mile post to be over the Staunton River, which is name by which the Roanoke River is known in those parts, and the newspaper article specifically mentioned that the bridge was over the Roanoke River. I am attaching a topo map showing that bridge over the Roanoke River at Leesville.

The same track chart shows the bridge over Bold Branch to be near Mile Post 216.5, only 26.5 miles east of Roanoke. Neither the stream's name or the miles from Roanoke agree with the article.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: Virginian in 1909--Another first train

Actually, that bridge east of Roanoke was/is over Bold Branch.

Aubrey

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines.