N&W in 1908--Shop whistle

Tue Dec 30 16:59:43 EST 2008

Don't know about the wax, but some years ago, was doing some work at the Winston Salem ( N&W ) "roundhouse" as they called it then, where my friend the late Clyde Taylor was working, and saw me eyeing the old shop whistle which hadn"t sounded a shift change in years. Some of the older workers recalled when it did blow shift changes you did NOT stand under it if you didn't want a shower!! It was a 6-chime homemade by a shop machinest . The shop was sometimes supplied with steam by tieing on to a Y-6 that wasn"t busy . So to continue, Mr Taylor donated the whistle in my care where I eventially took it to Spencer, tried it on #604 -- of course sounded nothing like Sou. or N&W . It now rests atop the ACL locomotive where it looks somewhat at home. End of story- Ron Hash