Fw: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Taking Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Fri Nov 28 19:55:35 EST 2008

This is just a little elaboration on Skip's explanation of top-of-rail lubrication.

Locomotive and freight car wheels are rigidly mounted on an axle that is solid between the wheel seats, i.e., no differential gearing between the wheels such as automotive vehicles have in order to allow the outside wheel on a curve to travel a longer distance than the inside wheel. Instead of a differential, railroad wheels have a 1:20 taper on the tread with the greatest diameter near the flange. This is a somewhat crude attempt to allow for the fact that the outside wheel on a curve has to travel a longer distance than the inside wheel. So, if a railroad vehicle negotiates a curve fast enough to force the outside wheel flange against the outside rail, the outside wheel, which has the greater distance to travel, will be running on its largest diameter and the inside wheel, which has the least distance to travel, will be running on its least diameter, allowing the wheelset to negotiate the curve with minimum slippage.

There are three things wrong with this arrangement. One, if the vehicle negotiates the curve at too slow a speed, the superelevation of the outer rail will force the inside wheel against the inside rail where the wheel will run on its largest diameter and the outside wheel will move away from the outside rail causing it run on its least diameter, just the reverse of what it should be, causing considerable slippage of one wheel on the rail. Two, even if the outside wheel is against the outside rail and both wheels are running on the proper diameters, the difference in wheel diameters will be correct for only one radius curve. At other radii curves there will be some slippage of one wheel on the rail. Third, as wheels become worn, the 1:20 taper can become concave creating a slippage condition due to wrong diameters similar to condition one above.

So, it is this unavoidable slippage in curves in which the slipping wheel is in effect dragged along the rail that creates the friction between the tread of the wheel and the top of the rail that is controlled by the application of top-of-rail friction modifiers.

Gordon Hamilton