James N Gillum

Fri Nov 21 05:54:58 EST 2008

I met Jim on my?first trip to the?Archives in 2003.? As he gave me the nickel tour his passion and dedication to the Archives and Society?was more than evident.? He immediately captured?my attention and?infected me with?his enthusiasm, vision?and sense of importance of what we?could do with old paper and drawings.? As I participated in Society functions, I?looked?to Jim's?guidance to?form my own opinions.? I will miss that.

Our lives?should be lived so that we are respected in our living and?regretted in our passing.??This is the best that we can achieve with our time here?on earth and in this respect Jim Gillum was?a successful man.?I am?the better to have known him and I will miss him.

Our prayers are with his family and friends.

Chuck Stewart
Bahama, NC

Message-----
Sent: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 7:26 am
Subject: James N Gillum

I am sorry to report that past NWHS president Jim Gillum passed away last night. His family reports that he did not suffer and was in no pain.

Jim had been fighting ALS - a degenerative muscle disease and was recently diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor.

NWHS has lost one of its giants.

Ron Davis