N&W in 1908 -- Dam

Mon Oct 27 14:38:58 EDT 2008

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
October 9, 1908

RESERVE RESERVOIR AND DAM AT FALLS MILLS
------
Norfolk and Western Preparing to Let Contract--Not Known When Work Will Begin

The Norfolk and Western is preparing to let a contract for a dam and reserve reservoir at Falls Mills. The estimated cost of the work is $18,000.
The reservoir will be situated in the gap which is just above Falls Mills and located on the property which, it was reported some time ago, the road paid $25,000 for. The reservoir will be used as an emergency supply in case anything should happen to the water supply at Bluestone Junction. Contractors were at Falls Mills yesterday looking over the work with the intention of making an estimate on their bid. It is not known just how soon the work will be commenced.
------
[I wonder if this reservoir is the "lake" at Falls Mills where I took a learn-to-swim class in the late 1930's.]

Gordon Hamilton