A day in Roanoke

Sat Sep 27 19:18:31 EDT 2008

Hi Bob,
The "Lost Engines of Roanoke are three N&W Steam locomotives that are sitting in an old Scrapyard. There was a 4th locomotive but it was gotten out of the scrapyard and moved to Ohio.. Two of the steam locomotive are M2 Class heavy haulers built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. the third one is the 1151 which is a M2c class that was built in the Roanoke shops. there are also two Baldwin Diesels and several other cars that are there. They have been there for over 50 years now.
Check out the following link for more information on them.
http://lostengines.railfan.net/

There is an effort to rescue these old steamers from being scrapped and the above link has information on that effort

Andrew

Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:17 AM
Subject: Re: A day in Roanoke

hi Andrew

What are/is The Lost Engines of Roanoke?

Bob

Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:17 AM

Hey Bob,
You could go over and take a gander at the Lost Engines of Roanoke over on South Jefferson Str next to the Hospital.
Andrew
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 11:24 AM
Subject: A day in Roanoke

Two nights at the Roanoke Hotel and a whole day in Roanoke! I have managed to include this possibly once-in-a-lifetime visit in the itinerary of a holiday my wife and I are taking in October to enjoy the fall colors. As a N&W fan I will be visiting the Link Museum and the Virginia Transportation Museum. Are there any other attractions that should merit my attention?

Bob Gellatly
bobgellatly at talktalk.net