Question about the N&W freight "hooter" whistle

Mon Sep 22 18:53:21 EDT 2008

Steve -

The main difference is about 4 inches, as you noted! The length of the whistle's "bell" determines the pitch - the 8" whistle will sound higher than the 12". As to why 1218's whistle was so loud - can't say. I hope someone else here may have some ideas. It may have something to do with the 300 psi steam pressure. It was the loudest whistle I've ever heard.

611's whistle was hidden by the skyline casing, so that tended to make it sound more muffled than 1218, plus the fact that it had three notes instead of one. Perhaps if it were mounted out in the open, it would be louder, although I doubt it would match 1218.

UP 3985 has the same whistle as 611, but it does sound a bit different, probably due to its exposed location.

Dave Stephenson