Error in July-Sept Arrow

Fri Aug 22 09:02:37 EDT 2008

I believe the acknowledged start of World War II was when Germany
invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. The British, French and other
British commonwealth countries declared war. The United States,
heavily isolationist-minded remained officially neutral, despite US
aid to its future allies.

The official US involvement came on December 8, 1941 when Congress
declared that a state of war existed between the United States and
the Japanese Empire since December 7, 1941 after attacks on Pearl
Harbor, Malaya, Hong Kong, Guam, the Philippine Islands, Wake
Island on December 7 and then Midway island on December 8, 1941.

Germany and Italy declared war on the United States on the morning of
December 11, 1941, Congress acted on these declarations the afternoon
of December 11, 1941.

In July 1943, the fascist government in Italy was overthrown, an
official armistice with Italy was announced on September 8. On
October 13, 1943, the official Italian government (as opposed to the
deposed Fascist government) declared war on Germany. Germany
surrendered on May 7, 1945, Japan surrendered on August 14, 1945.

Ken Miller