N&W CPL's

Wed Aug 20 06:02:06 EDT 2008

You know Jimmy, the N&W signals themselves weren't really the problem.  It's just their age is catching up with them.  I love the way they look, their visibility is great, and the aspects are much easier to understand (for me anyway).

And yes, there is a modern equivalent still manufactured by Safetran.  It is aluminum, and doesn't use a spider frame, but instead a collection of light boxes that attach to a center set of junction boxes.  There are more around than what you would think.  I know of a few.  The ones in Roanoke have already been mentioned.  There's also one near Keystone, at least, I think its Keystone.  It's right beside US 52.  You can tell its new because the platforms are the modern aluminum type with the safety cage.

I personally would take a modern CPL over an old one, from the maintainer's point of view.  The railfan in me would rather have the "old timey" CPL, just well maintained.   But, for convenience sake, the Colorlight signal is by far the easiest to adjust, rewire, change bulbs in, and replace components.  And, the lamp voltage is adjustable in the signal head.  That is one thing a CPL doesn't do.  So, I guess, like the steam engines themselves, the CPL's are just being outmoded one by one.

Ben Blevins