Last N&W diesel to scrap- two more related (+/-) things

Tue Aug 19 14:57:26 EDT 2008

In my discussions with the NS people at Bellevue, the diesel shop
superintendent noted that the early SD40's (late 1500's early 1600's) that
were not Dash 2's had really brittle wiring. Any work on the cables and
wiring caused the insulation to break off due to its age. He noted that
most were slated for slug rebuilding as they went in for major work due to
this issue; it just took too much to keep the wiring insulation alive. Any
time they brought one into the shop to repair a mechanical fault, it
required additional hours to patch up the wiring disturbed by the original
repair.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati.