Last N&W diesel heading to scrap

Tue Aug 19 07:54:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/18/2008 11:02:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

AMEN! I couldn't help laughing at that, Jimmy. :) And I agree
whole-heartedly. I, for one, would be happy to see every locomotive GE
built scrapped, or at least parked in a museum where they can't hurt
anything.

After reading the post concerning 8551, I was traveling
I-581 near Elm Street yesterday and saw two SD40-2s
working. Believe I saw 1623 roaming around Roanoke
recently. That says something about the longevity of
EMD power.

You gotta remember N&W got a bonus when buying
GE power. Their plant was at Erie, PA on N&W's
Lake Erie Division. Many a GE was forwarded by
N&W to Chicago connections for the new owner.
Otherwise, New York Central may have been the
sole road participating in the revenue. Maybe
Weary Erie would be interested in preservation
of the unit.
Harry Bundy

deal here.