Last N&W diesel heading to scrap

Mon Aug 18 13:56:16 EDT 2008

Sad, but probably no chance of a last minute save. Reminds me of the demise of Jersey Central's last operating steam loco, # 774. Was a 4-6-0, more typical of CNJ than # 592, the 4-4-2 which resides in Baltimore. According to stories at the time, could have been saved for $ 5000. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Jerome Crosson (NWHS member who grew up along the NY&LB)

C39-8 8551, the last N&W diesel, is headed to scrap. While the option still remains to buy it before it actually goes to scrap, the $65,000 asking cost is simply too high to generate in a week. It's a shame that the current politicos involving the VMT and Roanoke in general is allowing this to happen, as I'm sure a phone call to Wick Moorman outlining the historical aspects of this locomotive could quickly change things. I know now how the people who tried to save the last Y6bs felt...

Robb Fisher
RFDI