N&W in 1908 -- Telegraph operators

Sun Aug 17 17:38:15 EDT 2008

Gordon: In 1950 I talked to a C&O employee in Huntington who told me he had worked seven days a week. I did something similar for two summers in a drug store in Norfolk. Because the hourly wage was low, I worked as many hours a week as the boss would let me. Didn't have anything better to do, and there was no labor law to stop me. If I had been female, I think my hours would have been limited. Jim Nichols