Local head-end work

Tue Aug 5 03:45:17 EDT 2008

Sears and Wards catalogues
Monday, August 4, 2008 7:23 PM
From: "huddleston.eugene" <huddleston.eugene at yahoo.com>
To: f_scheer at yahoo.com

As for date of my experience, it was in 1947. I am almost positive that both catalogues were distributed only once a year. They were heavy and they were very thick. Cost of production would have been high. I just talked to 84 yr old bro in law in Croswell and he recalls them
well in years both before and after WW2. I expect shipments went down greatly in number around 1956, because that is when I learned that a large new Sears opened in suburban Huntington WV and in fort Wayne IN about same year. As for other observations about ry express, I recall being at ironton, Ohio depot shortly before N&W e.b Cavalier arrived. On an open baggage cart were shipments of drugs from a local small drug wholesale company. The shipments were small and not in bulk. (This was about 1954) Most interesting was where they were being shipped. It looked like there was a small box going to each station on N&W's Pocahontas Div. mainline.

August 5, 2008

Thanks for the information, Gene. Personal observations such as these are always helpful regarding head-end traffic. Not many people took an interest in this during the era you've mentioned.

Best wishes,

Frank