1958 - N&W Men Bemoan Steam's Departure

Sun Jul 20 09:20:46 EDT 2008

My source probably has misspelled Harry J. Waldrond's name. The photo in my
book was used in the September 1951 N&W Magazine on page 535 and the picture
was part of an article about the utilization of the Y6b's. This article I
republished in my book and Harry J. WALDROND [the magazine's spelling] was
listed in both the text of the article and in the photo's caption. Mr.
Waldrond was the Y6b engineer from Roanoke to Crewe and the photo was made
at Kinney.

I suspect that the Roanoke Times quote of Harry J. WALROND is the same
person and that the N&W Magazine misspelled his name. Jim Blackstock's
listing has only one person with the same first name and middle initial and
the name is spelled as WALROND. A look at the 2005 Roanoke phone book has no
listing of anybody with a name of Waldrond [with two "d's"], but does have
Waldron and Walrond.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. Thanks Jim for your help.

Bud Jeffries

Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: 1958 - N&W Men Bemoan Steam's Departure