Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Mon Jul 7 09:48:11 EDT 2008

Regular operation on the Shenandoah Valley line required a locomotive to be equipped with cab signals. None of the J's or A's were so equipped.

EdKing
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

"Remember that axle loadings and not just total engine weight plays a part in weight restrictions too. Don't know how that applies in this particular place, but I'm sure a J is much heavier per axle than a K."

The Class A was timetable rated for "The Valley", while the J's were not. I have an idea that clearances on some bridges may have played a part in this. On the 611 excursion in '94, we had a slow order on the bridge over state Rt.43 at Buchanan due to a possible clearance issue.
Maybe an overall smaller number of cars in the consist may have played a part. I haven't seen any pictures of passenger trains on the Shenandoah line that seemed like it would tax the capabilities of the K classes. Use of a J may have been overkill.
Whatever the reason the J's weren't used going north (or south), I would like to know the actual reason

"Might not be as much a factor with the A though, since the Y's were so weighted with lead. Rollercoaster profile and inability to reach speeds at which an A runs most efficiently could have been factors."

Rollercoaster profile would be a non-factor. As for inability of Y's inability to reach speeds at which an A runs most efficiently, you'll have to argue with the fast runners of the "Valley" on that one!
Jimmy Lisle

PS:
Too bad hindsight is 20/20. If someone had taken the time to interview the men of steam back then, "Fast Runners of the Shenandoah Valley" would have been one helluva title for a book!
JRL