new, old 1218 video on YouTube

Tue Jun 24 23:01:35 EDT 2008

Nope. Four exhausts per revolution of each engine. They may or may not be in step. If you hear four exhausts per revolution, they may actually be in step, or 90 degrees out of step, or 180 degrees out of step, or 270 (actually 90 in the other direction). If you hear more than four (double licks, as they were known), they're not any of the above.

EdKing
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: new, old 1218 video on YouTube

Yes that is the case. But they will get in step at some times.
John Rhodes

What a great video. I never saw either 1218 or 611 in action, so this is great stuff.

I do have the requisite "dumb question" about 1218. Since it was a single expansion engine (I think that is the correct term) are there 8 exhaust actions for each complete cycle of both engines?

Thanks - gotta go watch the video again!

John C. Abbott

Note:
No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.