[VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] TAN Jackshaft Electric Locmotives

Thu Jun 12 17:31:37 EDT 2008

Not being an electrical engineer, I'm on shaky ground, but, yes a current was induced in the rotor and conveyed via slip rings to water rheostats. The water rheostats consisted of electrodes in a tank that contained a soda ash solution (10 lbs. to 300 gal. water). The solution level was raised by pumps to reduce the resistance in the rotor (secondary) circuit. In accelerating to the synchronous speed of 14 mph or from 14 to 28 mph, the solution was raised until the solution contacted an ordinary automotive spark plug which actuated a contactor to short-circuit the rotor circuit. I suppose at that point one would say that it was operating as a pure induction motor. Also, at this point the solution level would be lowered to be ready for the next acceleration event.

Gordon Hamilton