R. Updike

Sun Jun 1 20:46:39 EDT 2008

Frank,

I knew Richard Updike. He was a Motive Power Department employee who died
in 1972 while he was still employed by the N&W. When I knew Richard he
worked in an office on the second floor of the MP office building.

I just talked with his nephew, David Updike in Salem, VA, who took Richard's
job when Richard died, and David said that Richard's job involved mainly
overseeing the supply of material for shop programs. Richard was a rather
large man and was single and I remember at the time of his terminal illness
thinking of how lonely he must have felt with no immediate family.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:42 AM
Subject: R. Updike