[steam_tech] Re: TRAINS.com latest- can steam make a comeback?

Fri May 30 08:36:45 EDT 2008

Gary,

wrote:

> I would assume that just about all the major drawbacks for steam would

> involve logistics.

> Controlling solid fuel firing rates is much more difficult (and less

> efficient) than controlling any fluid's firing rate. One might fire the

> engine with diesel, but then the volatility of petroleum fuel prices would

> continue to be a factor.

More difficult yes but not a show stopper.

> Feed water efficiency could certainly be improved, but even significantly

> improved miles/tender load would probably still require a logistics

> pipeline that would have to be established/re-established (does anyone know

> how far the Jawn Henry could go on a load of feed water?).

The range for water on a modern steam engine could be about half the range
of that for a diesel, but the range for coal could be equal to the diesel.
Please see the paper I wrote that went around the list earlier this year.

> While valve packing and seals have improved a great deal since steam

> engines were actively maintained in service, it might be hard to get the

> maintenance of a steam engine down to the scope and simplicity of a diesel

> engine's, while maintaining a very high level of efficiency in feed water

> consumption.

In the same paper I laid out the evidence of why it would be most likely
that a modern steam locomotive would be equal or cheaper to maintain than a
modern diesel.

> I can think of a few other very hard spots associated with operating a

> steam engine today, but the single greatest impediment might be a lack of

> sufficient expertise. "Re-growing" that expertise would carry a lot of up

> front and mid term costs, which would increase the risk of attempting to

> adopt steam technology.

This is the institutional hurdle that would be the most difficult. Have you
heard of the concept of "Path Dependency"?

> HOWEVER... having been a steam engineer for a good part of my adult life, I

> would sure like to see a steam engine come into service, and be able to pay

> its way.

I as well.

> Just my .0129 euros.

> Gary Misch