[steam_tech] Re: TRAINS.com latest- can steam make a comeback?

Thu May 29 14:09:03 EDT 2008

I would assume that just about all the major drawbacks for steam would involve logistics.

Controlling solid fuel firing rates is much more difficult (and less efficient) than controlling any fluid's firing rate. One might fire the engine with diesel, but then the volatility of petroleum fuel prices would continue to be a factor.

Feed water efficiency could certainly be improved, but even significantly improved miles/tender load would probably still require a logistics pipeline that would have to be established/re-established (does anyone know how far the Jawn Henry could go on a load of feed water?).

While valve packing and seals have improved a great deal since steam engines were actively maintained in service, it might be hard to get the maintenance of a steam engine down to the scope and simplicity of a diesel engine's, while maintaining a very high level of efficiency in feed water consumption.

I can think of a few other very hard spots associated with operating a steam engine today, but the single greatest impediment might be a lack of sufficient expertise. "Re-growing" that expertise would carry a lot of up front and mid term costs, which would increase the risk of attempting to adopt steam technology.

HOWEVER... having been a steam engineer for a good part of my adult life, I would sure like to see a steam engine come into service, and be able to pay its way.

Just my .0129 euros.

Gary Misch
Syria, VA