[VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts]"Takin' Twenty with theVirginian Brethren"

Fri May 16 08:25:49 EDT 2008

The only technical account of the C&O 614T tests I know of was written by David Wardale in his book, The Red Devil and other Tales from the Age of Steam. He was a participant during the tests along with D. Porta and others. Starting on pg 384 and continuing to pg 412 he discusses the ACE3000 program. Pgs 390 to 402 cover the runs on C&O/CS. This may not sound like much, but Wardale's book uses very small print and narrow margins, so there are a lot of words! Although Wardale had several positive comments about 614's performance, he was very critical of the locomotives general condition and inefficiency. It's not an entirely positive commentary by any means.

The J3a's were equipped with Hancock exhaust steam injectors, a so-called "poor man's feedwater heater." This is a large pump-like device located on a bracket immediately in front of the trailer truck on the fireman's side. Photos will show if it's there on not. They did not have a good reputation for reliability. This device was removed from 614 and the ACE3000 tests were run with two injectors AFAIK. This contributed to the high coal and water consumption.

Dave Stephenson