[VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Thu May 15 14:13:49 EDT 2008

I bought one of the VGN belt buckles 10 years ago at a train show in Virgina. It still is pretty and I didn't pay no $45 for it either - more like $25. (But I still wear my 611 builder plate buckle every day!).

Ed Svitil

Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 07:48:35 -0400To: beattiec at yahoo.com; btfitzjr at cox.net; vgnry212 at comcast.net; wsm at greatdecals.com; aclchampion at cox.net; crosierb at cox.net; ljeffries2 at verizon.net; dalcook at lexcominc.net; dwgrdg at cox.net; Dennismk1 at aol.com; mullensproject at aol.com; digbee at orcon.net.nz; dwspringmill at aol.com; nw6175 at yahoo.com; ernestjhubble at cox.net; BuzzaMotto at aol.com; gwg121555 at yahoo.com; georgekegley at verizon.net; gvia at swva.net; gwiz at epix.net; gordonshamilton at cox.net; jsdunlap at msn.com; JasNorman at aol.com; nsyardconductor at verizon.net; james.blackstock at verizon.net; jimcosby at cox.net; jjsnidow at mac.com; jsalmon at roanokecountyva.gov; ktanner001 at nc.rr.com; Ponessa06 at aol.com; shawmutfan at cox.net; KDBKIMBA at aol.com; ldlewis007 at hotmail.com; assist at linkmuseum.org; lhawksgt350 at att.com; g4gregory at cox.net; swartz at nwhs.org; msalmon at salemva.gov; mike at mdodd.com; mssalmon at aep.com; ntickle at comcast.net; nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org; peteandwilmakirk at msn.com; ShellScale at aol.com; robbfisher at hotmail.com; kbingm at swva.net; davis at nwhs.org; rmattox at msinets.com; ssalmon-ecco at cox.net; Pullmanpolo at hotmail.com; ttrmwv at aol.com; salmont at mindspring.comSubject: Fwd: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"From: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org

--Skip Salmon=============To: VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts at yahoogroups.comFrom: "Charles E. Salmon, Jr." <gkholine at cox.net>Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:31:14 -0000Subject: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with 7 of theBrethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. I told the Brethrenabout having the "Friends of the VGN" patch on my jacket recognized atthe Krispy Kreme yesterday by a Mr. Ratcliff of Copper Hill, VA. Heworked for the VGN for over 40 years, talked a lot about "Slick" Ingeand promised to "Take Twenty" with us in the future. I also told themabout Donnie Bailey and Bobby Graham, Mullens VGN engineers, whoattended the "Friends of the Virginian Railway at Milepost 2008" andalso said they would like to "Take Twenty" with us.The June issue of "Trains" magazine was passed around with littlefanfare except for the article "CSX brawl gets down and dirty" on page10 about their board member elections.The ebay report was given: VGN Rwy. belt buckle (I hope someonedid NOT take the face off a heartshaped lock) for $45.44; "V.Ry."Handlan tall globe lantern for $536.99; A 1924 VGN "Science ofLocomotive Management" book for $66.40; A VGN 1956 Norfolk DivisionTimetable #23 for $57.89 and a 1943 VGN Operating Rule book for $58.63.I told the Brethren about Ross Rowland, Jr., of 1976 Freedom Trainfame, visiting the work session last week at the Archives of the N&W(and VGN) Historical Society. He and his "entourage" were extremelyinterested in anything the Historical Society has in their recordsconcerning a coal fired turbine locomotive (like "Jawn Henry"). Wonderwhat they are "up to?" He did buy lunch for the group that day.At the Archives Thursday evening "pizza and slides" session, GordonHamilton shared with us slides from a trip he took in the cab of anSD45 on an Elmore to Roanoke coal train after the merger. They showedgreat shots of the train and former VGN locations such as Elmore,Clark's Gap, Inglesides, Kumis and many more.I showed the Brethren Landon Gregory's winning photo at the "FVR @MP 2008". This photo has been posted on this site under "People". Itwas taken by Landon's lovely wife Sondra, and shows Landon receivingtrain orders "somewhere, sometime" as a Virginian Railway operator.Can you identify one very unusual aspect of this photo??Cornbread was exceptionally active at the session and told abouthis favorite (next to Rufus Wingfield) yardmaster, Bill Whittaker,brother of our recently departed Jimmy Whittaker. Seems that Billreminded him of the famous deputy of Sheriff Andy Taylor, Barney Fife.Cornbread said that Bill had the same swagger and aloofness of thefamous TV character. Seems that Bill, as yardmaster, had littlepatience for one of his conductors, a fellow named Flannigan, who wasextremely "long in the tooth" when reporting derailments and such.Once after a chiding for being long winded, the conductor gave thisaccount of a derailment in the yard: "Off again, On again, Gone again,Flannigin".I think I will pull the pin on this one.Departing Now,Skip Salmon=============