Fwd: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Thu May 8 07:19:08 EDT 2008

--
Skip Salmon

=============
To: VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts at yahoogroups.com
From: "Charles E. Salmon, Jr." <gkholine at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 11:04:28 -0000
Subject: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty with eight of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a card for
Tommy Wright in Victoria. We got a good report from Rufus Wingfield
who is in Brandon Oaks in rehab. He is scheduled to come home Monday.

Most of the talk of the night was about last week end's "Friends
of the Virginian Railway at Milepost 2008" in Mullens. I shared with
the Brethern the handout that Dorr Tucker, historian for the Roanoke
Chapter NRHS, gave out after telling of his aunt riding the Virginian
Passenger train in 1918. It told of her and her friend Elizabeth
boarding in Mullens and eating french fried potatoes, cold boiled ham
sandwiches, sliced tomatoes, war bread and butter, iced tea and canned
peaches in the "dining car". I also showed the Brethren a photo of Col.
William Page's newly renovated home in Anstead where the Deepwater and
later Virginian Railway was laid out and planned.

The latest ebay report included a VGN 1943 Operating Rule Book
selling for $58.53; a slide of VGN #903 for $29.03 and a copy of Sam
Pennington's VGN Rwy Feature book from 1933 with pictures of all of the
officers for $61.

Also shown was a photo that I took on Saturday at Milepost V435 on
the north side of the Kanawha River about 30 miles east of Charleston
where the Virginian connected to the New York Central near US Route 60.
The Brethren also enjoyed photos of Kanawha Falls, Gauley Bridge and
Hawks Nest showing a CSX train winding around the mountain looking like
a small N Gauge layout. I also shared with the Brethren the outstanding
handouts that Tom Marshall gave us to tour the old Virginian on Friday,
Beckley to Mullens; Saturday Dickinson Yard in Charleston to Mullens;
and Sunday Mullens to Princeton. These included highway directions as
well as historical information about each of the many Virginian
location stops along the way.

>From last Monday's "Roanoke Times" was a continuation of last

week's 75 year ago report: "Although handicapped by lack of any
tangible clue, city and railroad officers yesterday forged ahead with
their investigation of the death of Grover C. 'Cam' Price, Virginian
Railway maintenance man who was killed by a dynamite bomb Monday
morning in the Virginian yards".

Scotty told the Brethren that he knows a man who had a clock that
was so old that "the shadow of the pendulem wore a hole in the back of
the clock".

It was a pleasure last weekend to finally meet the person
responsible for this Yahoo website, Mark Fisher. Thanks again Mark for
your vision and ability to establish this Virginian Railway Citadel
that has raised the fallen flag and is flying it from a pinnicle.

Departing Now,

Skip Salmon