WHY ARE CABOOSES/CABEESES RED?

Wed May 7 03:49:49 EDT 2008

Throughout all my discussions with N&W employees over the years the
term "cab" was consistently used. Different railways used different
terms. I always remember being in Warwick Tower in Ohio with the Penn
Central operator who was a former NYC employee. His radio conversation
with a train crew of ex PR employees was especially interesting relative
to their discussion relative to caboose or cabin car. The the NYC man
consistently said caboose while the consistent response from the PRR
engineer was cabin car. It was a pretty lengthy conversation. I found
the whole thing rather amusing. And too.....the NYC and PRR folks
really didn't like each other very much. This was very obvious in the
communications.

Ed Painter; A Virginian from Giles County living in Russellville, AR
(currently in the New Orleans area for several weeks at Waterford
Nuclear Plant)