WHY ARE CABOOSES/CABEESES RED?

Tue May 6 09:56:11 EDT 2008

Caboose: Websters International says for first definition:
Caboose: that is is probably from the Dutch kabuis, kombuis or Middle Low
German kabuse; 1.also Camboose: a: a deckhouse where cooking is done: ship's
galley b: an open-air cooking oven: 2: hut 3: a freight-train car usually
attached to the rear of a train mainly for the use of trainment in the
performance of their duties although sometimes used to transport passengers,
esp livestock caretakers.
Second definition: Caboose, slang calaboose.

Interesting word source isn't it.
Cal Reynolds.