Names of Shortlines in WV and VA that made up the N&W railwayandVGN.

Sun May 4 20:49:38 EDT 2008

> The N&W probably to over the Iaeger and Southern in January 1902 but

> the first records I have are the annual meetin gin April 1902 when N&W

> personnel are nominated to the board.

I'm a bit slow with this as I'm catching up on reading a few weeks of posts
to the list.

I would say that Alex's guess about when the N&W bought the Iaeger and
Southern is correct. I have a Iaeger and Southern stock certificate dated
Feb. 15, 1902 issued to the N&W for 245 shares. That would be all but 5 of
the authorized shares in the company. The certificate states the capital
stock is $25,000 of $100 per share. It is signed by A.J. Hemphill as
secretary and F.J Kimball as president, their respective positions with the
N&W.

The other five shares of stock would have been used as director's qualifying
shares issued to each of the directors the N&W elected to the board.

The ICC valuation report for the N&W simply says it took over the Iaeger and
Southern in 1902. Sometimes valuation reports have more specific dates.

I've attached a scan of the certificate.

David Adams