Interesting article

Tue Apr 22 22:14:20 EDT 2008

Would you happen to have a digital photo of the Lionel J that you would share with the group?
Thanks.
Rick Huddle
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:45 AM
Subject: Interesting article

I've been a model railroader for most of my life, but only recently became interested in the Norfolk and Western when I won a Lionel N&W J at auction after lusting after a copy for many years, but price made it unobtainable. Luckily the item was not advertised, so the normal vultures that would grab up desi\rable model trains at that auction house never showed up and I had very little competition with my absentee bid.

Recently I obtained a copy of the "Norfolk and Western Magazine" for April, 1942 and was thrilled to see an article about a "New Locomotive" on page 166.

"Completely modern from stem to stern, the second of 16 new, heavy duty Y-6a Mallet freight locomotives which are being designed and built from the ground up by emloyees at Roanoke shops, was completed and placed in operation on March 21. The first Y-6a rolled out of the shops during the later part of February. The remaining 14 are scheduled to come out of the shops at the rate of one a month. These powerful locomotives are of the same design and general dimensions as Y-6's, the main difference being in the arrangement of the wheel bearings. Both types have eight pairs of drive wheels, each 57 inches in diameter, and a tractive effort of about 152,000 pounds. In working order locomotive and tender weigh 961,500 pounds."

The article describes the difference between theY-6 and the Y-6a, and I am wondering what the difference(s) is (are) between the Y-6a and my Mike's Train House model of the Y-6b.

Thanks for your help.

Neil K. Yerger - A neophyte Norfolk and Western fan.

audreyly at aol.com<mailto:audreyly at aol.com>

Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos<http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851>.