Names of Shortlines in WV and VA-Cedar, WV

Tue Apr 22 12:07:00 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/21/2008 8:48:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

Cedar has ceased to exist.

The late Ken Lucas was dispatched from Williamson to the scene
of the accident. Near Delorme, he didn't know whether the best
route was to stay on the Kentucky side of the Tug or cross, then
use the N&W right-of-way to reach the scene. He stayed on the
Kentucky side.
SOURCE: The late Ken Lucas

The late Robert D. Painter had been at one time assigned to
Wilcoe. He noted that on the inside of Cedar Curve, there was
a baseball field.
SOURCE: The late Bob Painter.

One of N&W's officers arrived at Cedar to find the left- fielder
positioned on the eastbound main track. "Aren't you concerned
about being struck by a train," he axed. "No," the left-
fielder replied." I got my eye on the switch indicator".
SOURCE: G. W. Gearhart, General Manager - Safety.

En route from an assignment at Gest Street, Cincinnati in
1994 and using a company SUV, the chosen route was
via U.S. 52 to Williamson, then to Matewan, Cedar, Devon
and back to civilization. At Cedar, the ball field was grown
up, but a signal maintainer had built a home on the inside
of the curve. There was a wooden pedestrian bridge that
crossed the Tug near the junction of Majestic Branch.
SOURCE: Anonymous - NS might ding me for the extra
miles.

listings at AOL Autos.