Deepwater in 1907 - Princeton

Sat Apr 19 12:29:27 EDT 2008

Jim,

Our home was about 1.5 miles out of Princeton on the old Princeton - Bluefield road that was paralleled by the interurban line. We did not have an auto for most of that time, so if I went into either Princeton or Bluefield I rode the interurban cars. Because of the shortages of gasoline and tires during WW II the board of education discontinued school buses on our road and paid the traction company to give us rides on the interurban cars to and from school in Princeton each school day.

As I have stated before, I am collecting info on the Princeton and Bluefield streetcars and the interurban between, so if you or any of the Mail Listers has any info at all, I would like to hear from you.

For old times sake I am attaching a photo that I took a little over a half-century ago of a Princeton - Bluefield interurban car just below our house (out of sight on the hill to the left) on a snowy day when the interurban was about the only thing moving. Remember those West Virginia winters? The "hole" just to the left of the front of the car was a culvert under the road and the track for cows to get between the part of my grandmother's farm on the hill to the left and the part of the farm seen on the right along Brush Creek. If you look closely you can see the marks made in the snow by drag of the traction motors.

Gordon Hamilton