Ex-Wabash F's color?

Fri Apr 11 00:02:39 EDT 2008

I'm not totally sure what the difference between deluxe gold and yellow
was in the mid-1960's to 1970 following the merger (I always viewed the
color as yellow.....or so it appeared in person) But Yes there were
quite a few F-7A's in black with "hamburger/half moon " hearlds. I saw
and shot several at Brewster and Bellevue, Ohio in the early 70's. From
the pictures I've seen it seemed that most if not all the N&W EMD F-7A's
leased to the CNJ were black. On the other hand all the GMD (Canadian
built EMD) F-7A's,the last to be in active service and retired, (for
legal reasons they stayed in Canada on the former-Wabash operation
between Windsor, Ont and Ft.Erie, Ont/Buffalo,NY) were all Blue or Blue
with Grey. While I never saw large numbers of ex-Wabash EMD F-7A's when
living in Northwest Ohio in the 70's (Brewster-Bellevue-Marion-Cleveland
N&W railfaning) I can't recall seeing any that were painted Blue, only
Black.

>From Pictures:

Blue or Blue with Grey - "Hamburger/Yellow" All ex-Wab. GMD F-7A's
(Canadian)

Black - "Hamburger/Yellow" 3721, 3718, 3719,3689, 3697, 3716, 3719 - all
ex-Wabash EMD F-7A's (American)

Blue - "Hamburger/Yellow" 3714 ex-Wabash F-7A (American) The only Blue
END F-7A I have seen a picture of.

Ed Painter - A Virginian from Narrows living in Russellville, Arkansas
where we got 4 more inches of rain this morning!