Virginian Elect., Photo 5

Fri Mar 28 21:56:59 EDT 2008

As stated before, the Electric Railroaders' Association of New York has produced a series of CD's with copyrighted images from the ERA's Sprague Library depicting electric streetcars, interurbans, and locomotives. The attached photo is the fifth one on the VGN that I have posted from the Deep South Traction, Part 1 CD.

The attached photo from that CD depicting an EL-2B was made in Roanoke on 5/19/54 according to the photo title. One question that should be documented about these locomotives is the linage of the trucks under these locos. Does anyone know whether these were standard diesel locomotives trucks that GE used under these giants?

Incidentally, I was fortunate to ride in the cab of an EL-2B from Roanoke to Elmore about 1960, and it was a memorable experience. The height of the cab above the rails was really impressive!

Gordon Hamilton