FM Trainmasters

Sun Mar 23 21:03:16 EDT 2008

But did anyone ever see a VGN Trainmaster MU'ed with an EMD or Alco? I know I've read somewhere (the Bowers/Withers book perhaps) that because the TM's had a pneumatic rather than electric MU system they couldn't be MU'ed with locos from other manufacturers. Since VGN had an all-FM fleet, this may have been of no concern, whereas Wabash had plenty of other brands and may have specified a common MU system.

Sam Putney

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: FM Trainmasters

A photo appeared in TRAINS magazine of a train west of Decatur with an H24-66, an Alco C424, a GE U25b and an EMD GP35.

The FM wasn't in the lead . . .

Ed King
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:19 PM

I've seen pictures of Wabash H-24-66's in road consists with EMD's and ALCO's.

Ed Painter - A Virginian from Narrows living in Russellville, AR