Lost Railroads of Roanoke Bus Trip

Fri Mar 21 23:23:05 EDT 2008

On Saturday April 26th, the Virginia Railway Heritage Coalition will
be hosting a bus tour of some of Roanoke's lost railroads.

Two trips will be provided with departures at 9am and 2pm. Each tour
will last approximately 4 hours.

Departure will be from the O. Winston Link museum and will follow the
Norfolk & Western west to locations such as the original roundhouse
and current locomotive facilities. We'll then ride along the Catawba
Branch, past Hanging Rock to the end of the original line on the
mountain near MacAfees Gap. We'll take a short detour to see a small
segment of the Valley railroad. Then we'll return and travel near the
Virginian Railway and see locations of the original narrow gauge RR
that hauled ore north from the Rorer Mine located between Roanoke and
Mill Mountain to a long-lost transloading facility downtown near 13th
Street. You'll see portions of the Roanoke Belt Line and the Roanoke
and Southern RR (now the Pumpkin Vine/ Winston- Salem mainline).
We'll pass the Virginian Railway's Roanoke Passenger Station, the
Roanoke Railway & Electric carbarn and office building, the current
Norfolk Southern office building and many other heritage locations
all from the comfort of a restored bus provided by Commonwealth Coach
and Trolley.

Tickets are $10 per person and are on sale through the

O Winston Link Museum
101 Shenandoah Ave.
Roanoke, VA 24016
(540) 982-5465

The following organizations are partners in the Virginia Railway
Heritage Coalition:
Blue Ridge Chapter - National Railway Historical Society
C&O Historical Society
N&W Historical Society
O.Winston Link Museum
Roanoke Chapter - National Railway Historical Society
Virginia Museum of Transportation