FM Trainmasters

Mon Mar 17 18:37:15 EDT 2008

ALCO RS11s ... my titlting at Windmill story.... I must sadly report that
Winchester & Western's RS11 fleet is long gone. Briefly they had the 367 and
in the end they had ex-N&W 351 and the 863, nee ex-NKP 2863. I had talked
W&W management into letting me briefly re-letter the 351 as "Norfolk &
Western" back in the 1980's shortly before it was scheduled for a painting
into W&W. It ran this way for a number of weeks and then went into new
paint. As a further note of interest, when Norfolk Southern retired their
ALCO fleet,Winchester & Western bought a number of the C630 prime movers at
scrap prices in order to get the scarce injectors and other common parts.
Finally replacement parts got so scarce they switched to EMD GP9s. I believe
the 351 went to scrap. The last time I saw it the wheels were so thin the
locomotive was almost unsafe to move. The 863 was swapped and ended up with
Doyle McCormack ?, (at least that is what I remember). If there is interest,
perhaps one day I will print some of my negatives and write it up in the
Arrow.

Masoin Cooper