FM Trainmasters

Sun Mar 16 00:10:07 EDT 2008

Richard, et al,

That last run was on July 4, 1976. The day before the 173 dutifully followed N&W 1776 as they pulled a Roanoke Chapter, NRHS excursion train on a Roanoke-Pulaski-Marion round trip. On Sunday July 4th, once again the 173 rode behind the 1776 on the Roanoke-Martinsville-Stoneville turn. But, on the return trip to Roanoke, the last FM-TM operating in the US, indeed the world, pulled the passenger special with ease, and no problems whatsoever. Carrying small US flags the proud FM operated flawlessly back to Roanoke.

At the time of the 173's last run and retirement the N&W was already two years into a program which was cutting down former Virginian and Wabash Trainmasters for conversion into yard/hump slugs. The 173 was simply waiting its turn. It was certainly hoped that the railroad might spare the 173, especially since they had already designated several EMD units for slug conversion.

As stated before, the engine was already slated for the slug program, so the conversion may not have been a vengeful act, as some have speculated. Certainly there was much speculation, and the rumors flew, but apparently, for whatever reasons, no one high enough in the company was willing to step up to save the 173.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: FM Trainmasters

Jimmy,

N&W 173 was used along with N&W 1776 on a Roanoke Chapter excursion in either 1976 or 77. I remember photographing the pair on the Winston Salem line coming back in to Roanoke. I was a wet behind the ears photographer then and my mode of transportation was a ragged out '66 VW Beatle bought for $200.00.

I remember the Trainmaster stashed at Shaffers for years until it was "discovered" and converted into a slug.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
MP 224.6
Troutville, VA

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.