FM Trainmasters

Sat Mar 15 12:40:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Sam wrote:

> Bruce,

> That's what I heard too. I wasn't going to name names, but I think enough

> time has passed that it is almost ancient history.

Yeah, 20 years ago is a pretty long time. Part of the issue is that the true
fate of the Trainmaster, from my perspective, your perspective, other's
perspective, is more rumor and "he said" than fact [unless you're holding
out on us with paperwork and details :-) ]. Think of our counterparts in
2080 sifting through the NWHS archives, posting messages on whatever passes
for the internet then, and trying to determine what happened to that
Trainmaster -- much like we are doing now with N&W steam from the 1880s. I
suspect there are people in and around Roanoke (some perhaps still with the
railroad, others retired) who know the true story behind the conversion of a
historical artifact into a slug. If someone doesn't ferret out the truth now
and document what really happened, then "us" in the future will be just as
confused. So I really had no qualms about dropping a name into the
conversation, in hopes that someone might come forward (or at least approach
someone in the society) and say or provide an interoffice memo that explains
what happened. Confidentiality may be requested, with the understanding that
eventually the information will be revealed. It is the least we could do for
future historians.

Bruce in Blacksburg