N&W Pacific = Pensy K4?

Mon Mar 10 21:40:31 EDT 2008

Hanging in the lounge at the Raleigh, NC passenger station is a
photograph of an N&W pacific (probably #503?) at Durham, NC. Looking at
the photo, it struck me how much like a Pennsylvania K4 Pacific it
looks. With the exception of the distinctive tender, I could almost
believe I was looking at a Pensy engine. Did the N&W and Pensy share
locomotive designs, or is it merely a case of accidental similarity?

I took a photo of the photo, and can send it if it would help, though
the quality isn't the greatest.

Kenneth Rickman