What is a "partition coach"

Mon Mar 10 11:19:16 EDT 2008

Here's more from my Uncle Jim Prince, who was TPR (Travelling Passenger Reporesentative) on the Powhatan Arrow in the early 1950s.

-- abram burnett

Car A was never a Dormitory car. Maybe it was an idea kicked
around, but I was serving on the Arrow part of 1952 and 1953
and as I stated in a previous message, A car was set up with
lockers and crew rest room. Next was a small office with a
coat locker and rest room. Also a desk and chair. This
office was used by the Train Passenger Representative. Next
was a small smokeing lounge then 40 passenger seats. The
passenger space was seperate from the lounge and divided
with a partition.

B car had a small office for the train
conductor, but I do not remember the car as a partitioned
coach. The head end of this car contained rest rooms and
conductors office and the rear had rest room. I do not
recall more than 56 seats in this car. It is true that this
car was used for local passengers. The Arrow rarely went
above 10 cars and this was on week ends and during holiday
periods.

The two extra diners were for use on 3 and 4. The
N&W was upgrading 3&4 with modern diners and 10 and 6
sleepers.

The N & W had no use for a dorm car as Steward and
TPR were put up in Hotels in Cincinnati and Norfolk.
Waiters,Cooks and Train Porter were placed in other sleeping
quarters. I did not see a dormitory car until I went to work for the
SAL RR. The cooks and waiters used the space and the Stewards
used space in the sleepers. The Stewards were supposed to
use the private rooms in the dorm, but they never did. With
two full diner crews space was very tight in the dorms. Our
Chair Car Attendents slept where ever they could.

Lord, you have brought up a lot of memories, some good and
some not so good.

The vestibules were arranged with the door
on the rear of A car was next to B car the vestibules
between B an C were set up so that the conductor or traiman
and TPR with the Train Porter could load the passengers. the
Train Porter used the other door way to unload and load
baggage. Thru passengers were directed to the right and
local passengers to the left. In other words local to B car
and thru to C car.

Take car and stay safe.
<<