Signal Demise

Sun Feb 17 16:10:09 EST 2008

Well, it wasn't a "decision" not to maintain the signals, but rather the fact that other things took priority over the physical maintainence, such as pole line elimination and electrocode conversion, and there just wasn't enough money in the budget. Now, its getting to the point that many of these things HAVE to be done because they are rusting out.

As for whose fault it is? Well, I haven't a clue, as I'm in the signal dept. and the Bridge & Building dept. is responsible for painting the signals. So, I'm not pointing a finger. I just don't know who said "don't bother painting the signals" if that was indeed the case.

But, the fact is, most of this stuff is approaching the century mark in age, such as the bracket masts, signal masts and some of the cases, as well as footers. You see, N&W reused most all of the semaphore equipment when they upgraded to position light signals, so the Style S cases, masts, ladders, and bracket assemblies were already 30 or 40 years old when they were changed to position signals.

Even the aluminum structures being erected now will be hard pressed to still be in service in 90 years. If they do, that will be the year 2098. While aluminum doesn't rust per se, it does oxidize, and flex quite a bit.

Ben Blevins

This is a little of which came first, chicken or egg. Are they rusty
because they need to be replaced,
or are they rusted because someone decided not to maintain that which is
to be replaced soon.

We had some buildings (1939 vintage temporary) on Ft Monmouth that
started to sprout signs
that they weren't going to be painted because they were to be torn down.
Then it took 3 years
to tear the eye sores down.

Tom Cosgrove