N&W in 1903 -- Winchester Rifles

Sat Feb 9 10:29:50 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/9/2008 7:28:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

> [Today it is "Wild and Wonderful West Virginia," but in 1903 it was "Wild

> and Woolly West Virginia." They boarded a passenger train with Winchester

> rifles! Where was the TSA?]

> Gordon Hamilton

> =======================================

In 1967, I was on leave while in the Air Force and had taken the train to
Florida to visit relatives. While there, I retrieved a 12 gauge double barrel
shotgun I got when I was 15 and still living in Victoria, Va., and which I had
left with my grandparents in Fla. when I shipped out to the Philippines in late
'64. I came back on the train with that shotgun in a cheap canvas case. When I
got to D.C., I walked right through the busy lobby of Union Station to the
cab stand outside and got a cab. Nobody on the train, in Union Station, or even
the cab driver gave me a second look. But that was back in 1967, when this was
still a free country.

Greg Harrod