NS runs into trouble moving locomotives from Roanoke scrapyard

Thu Jan 24 08:46:31 EST 2008

I forwarded comments about the presence of the track to Bev, and he responded that he had informed Mr. Chapman.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: NS runs into trouble moving locomotives from Roanoke scrapyard

Someone should forward the information that the engines are still on rails to Bev Fitzpatrick so it can be passed on up the ladder to Mr. Chapman.

I thought they were setting on rails. I couldn't imagine why they would have ever taken them off the rails only to leave them there. That sounds like a lot of work for nothing, and could have caused them to fall over.

I would think they could lay down several track panels and connect them to the old siding, and then use a heavy bulldozer or two to drag them out. If they're gonna roll, a big ol' dozer should be able to break them loose. If not, it should be able to drag them. If they won't roll anymore, then flatspotting the tires will not hurt them anyway. A crane would have to lift them, as well as set them in their final resting place.

But, wouldn't it be a sight to see those engines rolling down the tracks through Roanoke? If it could be done, it could be a big publicity boost, and probably worthy of a documentary.

Just my opinion,
Ben Blevins

They ARE on Rails Definitely, Ken Tanner
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:01 PM

I'm certain they are sitting on rails. The switch to the siding was removed a while back, I believe just after the flood of 1985 when NS raised the main track a bit.

Sam Putney

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:59 PM

I'm afraid Mr. Chapman has been misinformed about these engines setting directly on the ground. Here's a photo of 1118 directly from the lost engines website. It is setting on rails unless something has changed since this photo.

http://lostengines.railfan.net/images/S_1118_rg_005.jpg

Here's the 1134, again directly from the lost engines site. I believe I can see a rail between the first and second drive wheels.

http://lostengines.railfan.net/images/S_1134_jh_001.jpg

And, here's the 917 showing the pilot wheels, and the rails are again visible.

http://lostengines.railfan.net/images/S_917_rj_001.jpg

Perhaps someone in the inner circles could inform the powers that be that these engines are indeed still on rails. I don't know if that will help with the move or not, but it sure can't hurt.

You never know. If a temporary track was put in place and connected to the track these things are setting on, they may be able to roll, or slide them out to a point where it would be easier to get to them. You never know, they may actually roll. If they did, then maybe they could be craned onto the main track and towed to VMT. But, if they won't roll, they'll have to move on flats.
Ben Blevins

>From the TRAINS website

January 18, 2008

ROANOKE, Va. - Norfolk Southern Railway officials can't figure out how they'd move the surviving pieces of four steam engines and two diesels at a Roanoke scrapyard, the Roanoke Times reported. Preservationists would like to see the locomotives go to the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

"We have looked at the feasibility of moving those old locomotives out of there, and I guess the short of it is, we really have not come up with a practical way to do that," said NS spokesman Robin Chapman.

He said the barriers to moving the equipment include the fact that the locomotives are sitting on the ground, not on rails, and that the railroad doesn't know how much they weigh. Once they're loaded on flatcars, it would be an easy trip across town to the museum.

The engines at Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal include Norfolk & Western 4-8-0s 1118, 1134, and 1151, and 2-8-0 917, as well as two Chesapeake Western Baldwin diesels. The steam engines have sat there since 1950, and have badly rusted and been picked over.

jerry
<jmlaboda2 at yahoo.com>

Passenger Car Photo Indexes - UPDATED 9/13/07 WITH 7273 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/>

N-scale Passenger Car User's Guide
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/UsersGuide.htm>

Appreciate Freedom??? Thank a Veteran!!!