New Member & Tallulah Falls Railway #73

Sun Jan 20 14:23:30 EST 2008

Hello,

After more or less unsuccessfully searching for information on the
history of the N&W, I decided that the logical thing to do would be to
join this list, and ask for help. So here I am. :)

A little about myself and my interests, for those that may be
interested: I'm a locomotive engineer for NS, working out of Linwood,
NC (toward Roanoke, VA, whenever I can manage it). I've been a model
railroader and railfan all my life, with a particular focus on steam and
anything unusual. I am currently working on an HO scale layout in a
spare bedroom, modeling Southern Ry. in the late '40s/early '50s. I am
also working with a friend to model a portion of the Norfolk, Franklin,
and Danville Ry. as it exists today. And just to offend the purists in
the world, on my bench at the moment is a high nosed SD30, which will
wear black with a tuscan stripe, to match a J in excursion service.

On to my question at the moment...

My model railroad is a fictional extension of the Tallulah Falls
Railway, from Franklin, NC to Almond, NC, where it meets up with
Southern's Murphy Branch. In researching the history of the TF's motive
power, I found that at least two locomotives came from the N&W. One was
a consolidation, #72, which is shown as being N&W #354, and/or(?) #202.
It was built in 1897 by Baldwin, builder's number 15154. While I
would like to learn more about that locomotive, it is the other that I
am interested in at the moment. Everything I know about this locomotive
can be summed up in the following line -

#73 - 4-6-0 - BLW 23848 3/04 - orig. TF #3 - 17x24-56 - orig. N&W

This must have been a relatively small ten wheeler, to have 56" drivers.
Does anyone know what class or number this may have been on the N&W?
Ideally, does anyone have photos, or at least a little more information
about her? I have a small drivered Bachmann ten wheeler (lettered for
Southern) which I am hoping would be a reasonable stand-in for this engine.

Thanks in advance,
Kenneth Rickman