SRR Intermodal 7/8

Wed Jan 16 14:28:21 EST 2008

Maybe off-topic a little but.... Charlie Long is on the money. I believe SRR was required by the VA State Corporation Commission to continue passenger service between Lynchburg and Alexandria. It did so by breaking the intermodal trains at Monroe and sandwiching the units and pigs around a coach and an FP-7. I photographed the trains many times in the early 1970s. Often the intermodal train from the south would be late and miss the Monroe connection and the cab unit-coach would make the trip north alone. I don't believe I ever saw a passenger! Unlike the other SRR passenger trains, which ran into Washington, the passenger section of 7/8 originated/terminated in Alexandria.

Bill McClure