Turntables in the early 20th Century.

Mon Jan 14 07:25:40 EST 2008

Y-6s were used on the Saltville Branch, account the tonnage off the branch, which was all uphill from Plasterco to just outside Glade Spring. A Y-6 was rated for 3100 tons, as I recall. Link's recording (the Mockingbird side of "The Second Pigeon and the Mockingbird") featured the 2146 trying to get back to Glade with full tonnage with wet leaves on the rail. He does make it, but . . .

The Y-6s used on the branch were never turned; they backed down to Saltville on the outbound trip and headed back into Glade Spring. They were swapped out when necessary to go in for boiler wash and inspection with through freights on the Bristol Line, and were turned if necessary on the wye at Glade Spring.

EdKing
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: Turntables in the early 20th Century.

Mark,

No the diameter is much too small to have accepted a Y. And,Saltville is not coal country --- the products going out were derived from salt and limestone manufactured by Mathieson Chemical. However, I believe O. Winston Link's recording of taking materials from Plasterco (a Saltville "suburb") out to the main at Glade Spring featured a Y.

Mike