The Cost Savings of Steam Today.

Sat Jan 12 18:48:12 EST 2008

Dominic,

Fluidized bed combustion is used by some power plants as opposed to
micronized coal firing. Gasification is different than both. A
description of fluidized bed can be found at: http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidized_bed

this type of combustion uses primary air to suspend the coal in air
to burn it on all sides.

Gasification uses limited primary air to facilitate gasification then
uses primarily secondary air to burn the resulting gas. his is well
described in the paper.

John R.