N&W in 1903 -- Leviathans

Sat Jan 12 18:10:36 EST 2008

Gordon, I'm setting myself up for the correct answer
from Bud or Uncle Ed, but here goes.

I note that it involves an Atlantic type. At an
excellent clinic of Karen Parker's a few years ago at
a C&O convention she pointed out that a)a lot of the
early Atlantics (4-4-2's)had trailing wheels, but they
were frame mounted, not on a separate trailing truck;
b)the C&O's also had a mechanism that enabled the
engineer to reduce the(percentage of locomotive)
weight on the trailing pair, thereby increasing the
weight on the drivers. Some kind of springs and levers
device. Same sort of thing on N&W's??

Frank Bongiovanni