Modern Steam Ben Blevins

Fri Jan 11 15:58:23 EST 2008

Ben,

Reasonable questions. I did write to these issues in the paper.

> Sorry. I haven't read the report yet, but I will, so I'm not knocking

> it. But, some things I've not seen mentioned here are:

> The capability to connect these locomotives together, and operate them

> from one control stand, with each one pulling evenly with the others. The

> diesel can do this. Could a steam turbine? I dunno. Could the "Modern

> Coal Burning Steam Locomotive" of the 40's and 50's? No. They had separate

> crews, with engineers and firemen who were masters of their art constantly

> tweaking the controls to maintain that effort. The diesel can do it with a

> flip of the reverser lever and a notch on the throttle.

With computer controlled boiler management and electronic controls, MUing
and one person operation is to be expected. The RR's would not be
interested in anything else.

> So, can these new modern steam locomotives be MU'd together? Is there a

> safety cab in the FRONT of the locomotive? These ideas would have to be

> factored in as well. Maybe they were. Again, I don't know. But, I'd bet

> the FRA would just about demand the cab be on the front. The Southern

> Pacific accomplished this with oil burners, but that won't work for the coal

> stoker used on the locomotives back in the day.

If you can MU you can put the cab anywhere or have distributed power or
remote control for that matter.

> And, don't forget dynamic braking capabilities. That makes a LOT of

> difference, especially in the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains. They really

> save a lot of wear on brakes, not to mention added safety and braking

> capability. This is a major consideration.

That is included.

> I'd be the first in line to endorse modern steam on todays railroads, but,

> it would be a tough battle, and would have to have some serious money behind

> it.

That is true the conversion cost would be quite large.

> My humble opinion.

> Ben Blevins

I hope you enjoy reading the paper.

John R.