Camp Cars

Sat Jan 5 22:25:38 EST 2008

And thank you, Gary, and everyone else whose response to my posting has assured me that my comments were taken in the spirit in which I meant them. After sending my comments I became worried that someone might take some things I said as a personal rebuke or a political statement, which was definitely not my intention.

This is a great group, and I appreciate the courtesy and concern we all show for each other. And, boy, do I learn a lot!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Sam Putney

Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Camp Cars

Thank you Sam,

The constitution still protects our freedom of speech, and I did not drag NS name thru the mud like some people have, I simply spoke the truth in what I said.
You cannot dictate the actions of the whole group simply by talking to just a few people., true there are workers who want to keep camp cars, as well as those in the group that want them gone, It is up to a higher power now as both sides have spoken on the matter and now it's up to the government to decide the final outcome, and we will adapt to what ever decicion is made.

You used the word insensitive, we call it inhumane. We have 40-50 year old men that have to climb in and out of a top bunk in order to sleep at night, that kinda stuff's for children.

Even hotels re-model and update after so long.

Gary Price
Keeping the ole N&W safe... one tie at a time

Gordon, Gary and Ben,

I really appreciate you sharing your camp car experiences. The general media, from whatever side of an issue, doesn't know much about railroads, as I'm sure we've all come to realize. I'm not sure if the Roanoke Times, NPR or any other major media outlet has a transportation beat any more. And whoever gets handed a story and a deadline rarely has enough time to get up to speed on the subject.

Gary's description of the life and accommodations on the NS cars brings to mind Edward R. Murrow's expose' of the plight of migrant workers in the 1950's, "Harvest of Shame." You are brave Gary to tell it like it is, and I hope there are no job repercussions. If for no other reasons than corporate image, NS would be wise to alter its policies involving work crew accommodations.

And guys, I love to be near trains as much as any railfan, but to say that living in a house near railroad tracks is analogous to being housed in a metal box six feet from trains that are rushing by all night is, well, insensitive at the least.

Sam Putney