Camp cars

Thu Jan 3 21:24:47 EST 2008

>What is NS using for camp cars these days? To the extent that I've seen camp cars in California, they've been "portable" buildings on flat cars.

That's California, and from what I have seen UP still has a fair number of converted PFE reefers in use as camp cars, though I don't know where specifically.

NS has a declining number of older boxcars that were converted to MofW camp cars by N&W (and a huge selection of trailers on flats by both N&W and SOU). And there may be a few passenger cars still around, though I have seen no reports of such in a long while. I have never seen the inside of one of these cars but I would guess that they are only fair in regards to accommidations though the perks may be a little better than most have in their homes.

It could be a lot worse... but it also could likely be a good bit better... I can only hope that on both sides some sort of agreement can be reached to make the workers lives a little better, but considering the pay for the work they get, for me, if I made that and was housed in an out house I wouldn't complain!!! But then I am thankful to make what I do... most aren't.

jerry
<jmlaboda2 at yahoo.com>

Passenger Car Photo Indexes - UPDATED 9/13/07 WITH 7273 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/>

N-scale Passenger Car User's Guide
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/UsersGuide.htm>

Appreciate Freedom??? Thank a Veteran!!!